Saturday, October 22, 2011

Muscle Me Muffins

One of the reasons I love cooking is it relaxes me.  It's one of the few outlets in my life where I can just be creative and quiet.  I love taking ideas and twisting them up to invent something new and occasionally unexpected.  Plus, there's no terrible consequence if you screw up!

I also love food, cause... well, it tastes SO good!  Everyone knows that on a bad day there's nothing like some ice cream to cheer you up.  Well for me, I want to actually make that ice cream.  That way,  I've turned my negative into something delish.  And let me tell you, I'm no baker.  But when that truly awful day hits, baking is the first thing I'll turn to.  It's a real challenge-the science of it.  If I can bake a killer loaf of herb bread, there's nothing I can't do.  Really!  Think about it.

So, a little about me:  I've recently finished my master's degree and have been aggressively job searching.  We all know it's tough out there and some days I really feel knocked down.  So in retaliation, I've been really dedicated to eating healthy, getting physically fit, and BAKING!  I feel, to keep on this journey I need to be focused and really be strong mentally and physically.  As for the mental fitness, the kitchen is my shrink.  The worse the day, the more challenging the baking becomes.  I swear, one day I WILL nail that damn yeast bread and when I do, you'll be the first to know

Since I started at the gym, I realized how appalling all fitness foods are.  It's all processed and made in factories who produce money, not food.  No consideration for health and no care for the Earth.  So, problem: I still need my protein and nutrients.  As a veg, I need to take care that my food is loaded with nutrition.  So, I made my own fitness food creation...



MUSCLE ME MUFFINS

I got the original idea from Cooking Light but changed it up a bit.  They have no butter, no oil, are made from raw ingredients, and are loaded with fiber, protein, and omega 3!  What could be better?!  They're also super easy to make.  Here's the deal:

 

THE STUFF

  • 1 cup all-purpose stone ground wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup pastry stone ground wheat flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 heaping tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 cup lightly toasted and ground millet 
  • 3 tablespoons wheat bran
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground sea salt
  • 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
  • 2 smashed large pear
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup dried cherries
  • 1/4 cup chopped raw almonds
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 4 tablespoons ground flaxseed - separated

THE PREP

  • Preheat oven to 350°.
  • Place 18 unbleached muffin cups in 2 muffin baking pans.
  • Sift flours and millet into a large mixing bowl. Add oats, sugar, wheat bran, baking soda, nutritional yeast, salt, and 2 tbsp flaxseed; stir with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine yogurt, smashed pears, and egg; add to flour mixture, folding with a silicone spatula just until moist. Fold in nuts and dried fruit. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle evenly with remaining flaxseed. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pans immediately; cool and enjoy!

These are so good and you can change up what fruit and nuts you add!  I do encourage you use stone ground wheat, as it's the only wheat process that ensures maximum nutritional value.  Also, also try to buy local!!!  Just throw one in your bag and munch on it before a really tough workout for some extra fuel.  It's also great for an afternoon pick me up.  I hope you enjoy!


I DID!

No comments:

Post a Comment