Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Carrot Ginger Muscle Me Muffins with Toasted Coconut

Lately I've been lazy with food and exercise. I blame the holidays. I had been doing almost no cooking and no working out. Everyone has slumps. I've also been going through a bit of soul searching, brought on by job searching. To me, money shouldn't be the goal of a career. I really want to help people- make a difference. I got a masters in political science because I thought that by studying public policy I could eventually make that difference. Surprise surprise, I was really into food and agricultural policy. Anyway, most people have been pushing me into public service (working for elected officials and such), which is not my thing. It's draining and aggressive and not at all reflective of the kind of person I want to be. Is it a start? Sure. But I'd rather start in non-profit, rallying for the little guys. Maybe I'll even lobby for the little people in the future, but who knows. What I do know is I want to live more peacefully, so I'm back to being vegan. I think it's right for me and I'm happy with my decision.

These past two weeks, I got back on track with exercise, cooking and really living again. I made myself a beautiful weeks worth of food: Soy Glazed String Beans, Radish Slaw, Black Beans and Rice, and a big pot of Minestrone Soup. Yum! I also got to hang out with my best friend, Jackee, and hear some great bands. We may have enjoyed the random phone booth a bit too much. Jackee doen't look too happy. Hey, remember phone booths??

 

I also spent a quiet weekend at the shore. I've gotta say, I may not have everything but I really have a lot : ) The beach always reminds me of stuff like that. It's a great place to clear your head. Even in the winter, it's beautiful down there.

I also decided to attempt a new muffin. Since my Muscle Me Muffins were a big hit and tend to disappear every time I bake them, I figured I should make more variations. I LOVE carrot cake so why not a carrot ginger spiced Muscle Muffin? Also, cause of the vegan thing I made these muffins dairy and egg free. I have to say, you'd NEVER know. Really good.


My first attempt was rough, cause I couldn't get the baking time or moisture just right. But now, I think I've got it. I'll probably tweak these a bit over time but for now, enjoy! Also, since these only keep for 5-7 days just freeze your extras. It still tastes good when defrosted. Promise.



THE DRY STUFF
  • 1½ cup all-purpose stone ground wheat flour
  • ½ cup pastry stone ground wheat flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • ¾ cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 heaping tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • ¼ cup lightly toasted and ground millet 
  • 3 tablespoons wheat bran
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon ground sea salt 
  • 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
  • ¼ cup chopped raw almonds
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts
  • Shredded coconut, if desired

THE WET STUFF
  • 1¼ cup carrot, grated fine
  • ¼ cup water
  • 6 oz cup vanilla coconut yogurt
  • 2 smashed large pears
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp molasses



THE PREP
  • Preheat oven to 350°.
  • Place 18 unbleached muffin cups in 2 muffin baking pans.
  • Sift flours and millet into a large mixing bowl. Add oats, sugar, wheat bran, baking soda, nutritional yeast, salt, and flaxseed; stir with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. 
  • In a seperate bowl, mix together wet ingredients. Pour into the dry mixture, folding with a silicone spatula until moist.
  • Ladle batter into 18 prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle shredded coconut on top, if desired.
  • Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pans immediately; cool and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment